What osteopathy can treat: back pain
Trouble with your back does not simply produce pain in the back. It may cause symptoms in other areas such as the buttocks, groin, hips, and the legs - Sciatica is an example of this. Problems in the spine and neck can also cause symptoms such as headaches, pins and needles and even numbness
Back pain can be caused by a variety of problems such intervertebral disc herniation (or "slipped disc" as it is commonly but inaccurately known), Facet lock, muscle strain or ligamentous injury. Sometimes other disorders can produce back pain, we are able to detect these problems and make the necessary referrals.
Treatment is different for every patient depending on your age, fitness and diagnosis. We use a whole range of techniques such as different types of soft tissue massage and joint articulation to release tension, stretch muscles, help relieve pain and mobilise your joints. Sometimes, when we move joints you may hear a 'click'. This is just like the click you get when you crack your knuckles.
10 top tips for back care
2. Take regular exercise
3. Take frequent breaks between repetitive tasks and vary the rhythm
4. Change position don't sit at the computer for too long.
5. Pace yourself when the work is heavy e.g. gardening
6. Adjust car seats, and on long journeys, have breaks and stretch
7. Watch children's posture - don't let them carry bags on one shoulder
8. Avoid strain when lifting especially when shopping and with small children
9. Is your bed the right bed or is it getting old?
10. Seek osteopathic advice earlier rather than later
Design by ewodesign, edward wilmot © 2017